Our Vision, Mission and Values
Our vision is of an abundant and self-sufficient community-based food system for Hawai‘i that promotes health and well-being and is grounded in indigenous wisdom, socio-economic justice, and sustainable agricultural practices.
Our mission is to fulfill our vision by building and supporting a new food paradigm based on a thriving community network of sustainable food system stakeholders through education, research, information, partnership, facilitation, and training.
1. We believe our land, waters, and air are sacred, and the health of Hawai‘i’s peoples and communities, both physically and spiritually, depends on the sustainable stewardship of our vital natural resources.
2. We are interdependent, and ultimately rely on each other for those things that we all experience as quality in life: support, honesty, aloha, and inspiration.
3. We honor the peoples and ancestors who have come before us, we are inspired by their courage, knowledge, experience, and wisdom, and we choose actions that complement their local, life-giving traditions wherever possible.
4. We are responsible for the present and future generations, and have a duty to create sustainable agroecosystems for Hawai‘i.
5. We value what is right, good, and fair, and strive for justice and equitability in the marketplace and throughout our communities.
6. We choose to cooperate rather than compete, believing that teamwork and collaboration build stronger communities than competition.
7. We work for solutions that empower individuals, families, and communities, to develop mastery of their physical, economic, cultural, and spiritual resources.
8. We choose life-affirming solutions that harmonize with nature, and recognize that every action we take impacts all natural resources and all life on Earth.
9. We affirm that the quality of our relationships and interactions is woven into the fabric of our achievements, and how we work together and engage with the world is the primary factor that determines the quality of the results we produce.
10. We assert that small is beautiful and sustainable, and we seek solutions that are locally sourced (independent from imports from distant locations), rely primarily on local energies (sun, wind, gravity, etc.), are grounded in locally appropriate technologies, and are easily reproducible by others.
Hawai'i Homegrown Food Network is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.